Chorlton came out rather well in the Manchester Food and Drink Festival Awards of the Year 2011 held on Monday. Of the 12 gongs on offer across the whole of Greater Manchester, Chorlton scooped 4:
- Best Food and Drink Retail Outlet – WH Frosts the Butchers (@FrostyButcher on Twitter)
- Best Family Friendly Venue – Croma (@CromaPizza)
- Bar of the Year – Electrik (@ElectrikBar)
- Pub of the Year – Parlour (@ParlourChorlton)
All worthy winners. But I can’t help feeling there are plenty more Chorlton venues that deserve recognition. Here are my suggestions:
- Best Supermarket for Hummus – Unicorn Grocery (@UnicornGrocery) – An organic vegan workers’ cooperative with its own solar panel (pictured). You just know their hummus will be sensational.
- Best Bakery for Hedgehog-Shaped Bread – Barbakan Delicatessen (@BarbakanDeli)
- Best Pub for Watching Liverpool FC in (Relative) Safety – Bowling Green (@TheBowlingGreen). As long as it doesn’t clash with Gaelic football.
- Best Fishmonger for Scary Seafood – Out of the Blue (@OOTBFish)
- Best Church for Beer – St Clement’s Church. More than just a church with an alcohol licence, St Clement’s Church has its very own beer festival. Heavenly.